Carmelite Seculars shares the same charism with the religious Friars and Nuns, we are all sons and daughters of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and St. Teresa of Jesus, our founder.
We are one family with the same spiritual possession; calling to holiness; and apostolic mission contributing to the Order the benefits proper to our secular state of life.
With the Catholic Church's new theology of the laity, Christifideles Laici we live our membership to the Order with clear and secular identity.
The Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites are called upon to live in allegiance to Jesus Christ through "friendship with the One we know loves us", under the protection of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in the biblical tradition of the prophet Elijah.
With inspirations from the teachings of St. Teresa of Jesus and St. John of the Cross, it is our intention to seek and deepen our Christian commitment received in our baptism.
Taking into account the origins of Carmel and the Teresian charism, the fundamental elements of the vocation of Teresian Secular Carmelites are:
1. To live in allegiance to Jesus Christ;
2. To seek a mysterious union with God by contemplation and apostolic activity;
3. To give particular importance to prayer, by listening to the word of God and by the liturgy;
4. To live evangelical self-denial;
5. To give importance to our commitment of evangelization in the ministry of spirituality, faithful to its Teresian Carmelite identity.
Resource: OCDS Constitutions